Dishwasher maintenance only takes a little time, but it could prolong the life of your machine. Here are 5 essential care tasks to ensure yours stays in working order.
- Wipe Down the Door Seals (weekly): If food gets stuck on the rim of the door, it can lead to perished seals, which cause the dishwasher to leak. If your dishwasher is used quite often, a weekly wipe-off of the seals and rim with a damp cloth is all that’s needed.
- Clean the Filter (weekly): This prevents trapped food waste in the filter from ending up back on the dishes. You can clean your dishwasher’s inner filters by rinsing them under the faucet and cleaning them off with a soft-bristled brush. The outer filter just needs to be rinsed with hot water.
- Top Up the Rinse Aid and Salt (monthly or when needed): A rinse aid gives you streak-free clean dishes. Salt prevents a buildup of lime scale and softens the water. Most dishwashers these days have indicators to show when top-ups are needed.
- Remove & Clean the Spray Arms (every 6 months): Remove the arms, clear the holes of any clogs, and rinse underneath the faucet.
- Run the Dishwasher Empty (every 6 months): While this won’t have a huge impact on the dependability of your dishwasher, running a hot wash without any dishes every once in a while will prevent unpleasant odors from developing, which can be a common problem with dishwashers.
If you’re looking for a well-established, reliable, trustworthy and professional plumber in the Tri-county area of NC, contact us at Minyard Plumbing Inc. Family owned and operated, we have been serving residents and businesses for more than 30 years. We’re available 24 hours a day for emergency services.